Monday, February 25, 2008

When did my perspective change??

We went on a family outing a few days ago - to the local pub bistro, ostensibly for dinner, but mostly to watch the Socceroos World Cup qualifier game (the Australian soccer team), which was only televised on pay TV (which I won't let Brad get, for fear of losing him altogether to the television!).


As we were sitting eating dinner, we realised we needed to get some cash out of the ATM, to buy a round of drinks (how did we become such a cash-less society??). This pub has a great family bistro eating area, and a separate public bar, for the serious workmen-type drinkers. And the teller machine is in the public bar area. So I say to Brad "You had better go to the teller and get some cash out, sweetie". To which he replied (in true 3-year old fashion) "Why me??".
All I could think of was "because you're the man". And yet, it seems like just the blink of an eye ago when I was working in the male-dominated, macho world of maritime shipping. I would not have batted an eyelid at drinking in a public bar, let alone just going into one to get some cash out. In fact, I would probably have been surreptitiously eyeing off some of the fine gluteous maximus muscles as I passed them by, and being just as loud as the next person!
So what has changed?? Why is it suddenly Brad's job to go into the rowdy part of the tavern, to get some cash, so that I can sit in the family bistro sipping my glass of riesling???

On a lighter note, here is a picture of the lovely torenias that I transplanted into a terracotta pot, on the weekend. I had them planted in a garden bed last year, and they came back up of their own accord. So they are now featuring on our back patio, making me look like an accomplished green-thumb (ha ha ha!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!