Monday, May 25, 2009

Tuesday Tips for Mum - Baby sleep tip

Kimberly at Raising Olives is hosting a new blog carnival, called Tuesday Tips for Mum. It is all about passing on those hard-learned gems of inspiration, ideas or tried and true tips that may help all (or even one!) of us mums make it through the day (or night) that little bit more easily.

My tip is about helping a sweet little baby sleep better. Ryan is treating me wonderfully, and usually sleeps through until around 1am, when he wakes for a quick feed. I then want him to go back to sleep quickly too. But after having been warmly snuggled in my arms and nursing on warm milk, I was then putting him back on sheets and blankets that had gone cold in the chilly night air -- and expecting him to sleep!

I know that I hate getting into cold sheets - so why expect the baby to be any different?? My solution is to keep a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket, beside the bassinet / crib. When I pick him up to feed, I slip the hot water bottle in where he was, and tuck the blanket back down over it. Just like they have seat-filler people at the Oscars, Ryan has a stand-in (or would that be lie-in?) baby, as it were!

When I put him back in, I take the hot water bottle out and he is snug and warm in his cocoon again.

Head on over to Raising Olives for more great parenting tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!