Sunday, January 31, 2010

Coq au Riesling - Nigella style

My family know that I love books. Devour them. And I was lucky enough to be given 2 fantastic new cookbooks, for Christmas. Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson (thanks Emma), and 4 Ingredients, which is a cookbook written by 2 Australian mums, and every recipe has 4 ingredients or less - what a great concept!

Both books focus on delicious food, which is easy and fast to make. Now, as one of my posting categories is "Domestic Goddess", how could I go past starting off with a scrummy recipe by Nigella Lawson, for a French chicken casserole, Coq au Riesling.

Please excuse me, as I am typing this without the benefit of the recipe book in front of me. But it was so easy, that I can remember, I am sure!

Ingredients -

* 1 leek, chopped (do you have leeks in the US? Do you call them leeks?)
* 10 chicken thighs (either bone in or fillets, but either way, skin off)
* approx 1/2 cup chopped bacon
* oil for frying
* thickened or double cream
* 1 bottle Riesling
* 2 bay leaves

Method -

Heat oil in a deep saucepan / casserole dish. Saute bacon and leek, until soft and fragrant. Remove bacon & leek from pan, then add the chicken pieces to the pan and brown them. When chicken is browned, return bacon & leek to the pan, and add 2 bay leaves and about 3/4 of the bottle of wine (seriously - the left over bit is the 'cook's privilege'!).

Cover the pan with a lid, or tin foil, and simmer on low for about 45 minutes. Stir, remove bay leaves and add a good dollop of cream, to thicken the casserole mixture. Serve with mashed potato and green beans. Yummmm!!

Thank you Nigella, you are going to transform my family's eating habits... into decadent food, fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!